Google

Click here to read or submit navy stories!

LST HOME PORT DISCUSSION GROUP Login as administrator
 Subject: RE: LST 571
 
Author: Buddy LST 1126
Date:   11/5/2013 1:02 pm CDT
Below is a summary of the tour of duty the LST 571 had during World War Two. It did not serve in the Atlantic fleet, but did in the Pacific Fleet earning two battle stars. Like many of the over 1000 LSTs built, it was decommissioned and destroyed right after the war ended.

Buddy LST 1126 (http://www.LST1126.com)

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-571

LST-571 was laid down on 14 April 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph H. Hayes; and commissioned on 14 June 1944, Lt. Walter A. Raleigh in command.

During World War II, LST-571 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Lingayen Gulf landing in January 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April to June 1945. Following the war, LST-571 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, LST-571 was decommissioned on 12 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April that same year. On 17 August 1948, the ship was sold to the Port Houston Iron Works, Inc., of Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled operation.

LST-571 earned two battle stars for World War II service.
Reply To This Message

 Topics Author  Date      
 LST 571   new  
Michael Stokley 8/21/2013 4:13 pm CDT
 RE: LST 571    
Buddy LST 1126 11/5/2013 1:02 pm CDT
 RE: LST 571   new  
Buddy LST 1126 10/15/2014 7:26 pm CDT
 Reply To This Message
 Your Name:  
 Your Email:  
 Subject:  
  Submission Validation Question: What is 94 + 91? *  
* indicates required field
     

On May 21, 2005 a monument was unveiled in Seneca, Illinois, dedicated to all the workers, who built 157 LSTs at the Seneca “Prairie Shipyard” as well as all those who served on any LST during World War II, Korea, and Viet Nam. The monument contains seals of the US Navy, the US Coast Guard, the British LST Association, and the sponsoring organization, the Illinois LST Association. The monument contains a sculpture of an LST on top of the gray marble center section. On the two flanking black marble sections are etchings of an LST being launched, an LST beached and unloading its cargo of tanks, and a woman shipyard welder. On the sides of the black sections all 157 LSTs constructed at Seneca are listed The monument stands in Crotty Park in Seneca, on property adjacent to the old Chicago Bridge and Iron shipyard. Approximately 500 people from all over the country and Great Britain attended the dedication. After the dedication, approximately 200 of those in attendance gathered together for a catered lunch. About 27,000 people worked at the shipyard during World War II. A number of those and/or their descendants attended the ceremony. They are rightly proud of their contribution to the war effort, as is the city of Seneca, Illinois, the home of the “Prairie Shipyard”.

During World War 2 there were 1051 LST's (Landing Ship Tank) built to carry troops and supplies to American and Allied troops fighting in Europe and the Pacific theaters. When WW2 ended most of the LST's were scrapped, modified, or given to Navies of other countries. Some remained in service and saw action in Korea, Viet Nam, and even the Cuban Blockade.

A few WW2 type LST's remain in service today, but not in the USA.